- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium cooking onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups dried split peas, rinsed andpicked over
- 9 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onions 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, carrots, celery and potato; cook 2 minutes, stirring often. Add split peas and water and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour or until peas have broken down completely.
Purée 4 cups soup in a food processor until smooth. Pour back into sauce pan and add thyme, salt and pepper. Add water if too thick. Bring to boil for 2 minutes to blend flavours.
Soup can be stored, covered in refrigerator for 3 days or frozen up to 1 month. If soup is too thick when reheating, add water to thin.