- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 yellow onions (about 3 pounds), thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 7 cups vegetable stock
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 slices baguette, toasted
- 1 cup grated Swiss, Emmental or Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat, cook onions in olive oil for 45-60 minutes, until caramelized. Add thyme and stock and simmer for 30 minutes to develop flavours. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat broiler. Divide soup between 4 ovenproof bowls, top each with 2 slices of toasted baguette and one quarter of the cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and golden brown in spots. Serve immediately.