- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 cups good quality chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 package (14-ounce) udon noodles
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 ounces sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms (brown button)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
In a large saucepan, combine stock, mirin, soy sauce and ginger. Bring to boil. Add noodles and reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes, or until noodles are plump and tender.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat; add beef and cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and 1 tablespoon soup broth and cook for 3 minutes. Transfer to saucepan. Taste and add more soy sauce if required. Top with green onions.
Udon is a type of thick wheat- our noodle popular in Japanese cuisine. They are usually served with a warm broth or cold with a dipping sauce.
Mirin is sweet rice cooking wine and can be found in the Asian section of the supermarket.