- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/2 cup wild rice, soaked in 2 cups of water overnight, drained, rinsed
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1/2 butternut squash, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup white breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
For glaze, in small pot over medium-high heat, combine all ingredients. Cook until reduced in volume by half; set aside.
In large sauté pan over medium-low heat, cook onion and butternut squash in olive oil for 8-10 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add sage, thyme, salt and pepper; set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, combine turkey with wild rice, cooled squash and onions, breadcrumbs, eggs, ketchup, applesauce and cranberries. Mix well. Place in large loaf pan and cover with 1/2 cup glaze. Place loaf pan on baking sheet and bake for 1 1/2 hours, topping with another 1/2 cup glaze halfway through cooking time and rotating pan for even browning. Cook to internal temperature of 165°F. Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes. Serve with leftover glaze.