- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 6Servings
- 2 full racks (3 pounds) pork back ribs, trimmed of visible fat
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
Sweet chili sauce
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 large red chilies, stems removed (or 2 tablespoons red chili flakes)
- 6 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large stalk lemongrass, peeled and minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole good quality tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In small bowl, stir together brown sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Rub onto ribs. Place ribs on baking sheet. Cook in oven, about 7 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, for chili sauce, place garlic, chilies, ginger, lemon grass, cilantro and tomatoes into food processor; blend into paste. Set aside.
In a saucepan over medium heat, stir sugar and water to mix. Increase heat and bring to
a boil for 2 to 4 minutes, until mixture caramelizes slightly. Stir in paste and bring back to boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat and add vinegar, fish sauce and tamari; bring to a quick boil and reduce heat to simmer for 1 minute. Remove from heat; set aside.
Remove ribs from oven and cut into 2 rib portions. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware and pour in chili sauce, stirring to coat ribs. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.