- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 bag (10-ounce) fresh spinach, tough stems removed
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 1/2 cups shredded havarti
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 package frozen phyllo pastry, thawed overnight in refrigerator
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onions and cook about 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and cool. Squeeze mixture by hand to remove excess moisture; chop finely. Add cheeses, egg, dill, salt and pepper; mix well.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Unroll phyllo and place on a clean work surface; cover with plastic wrap and a tea towel to keep from drying. Remove 1 sheet of phyllo, keeping remaining covered; brush with melted butter. Remove another sheet, placing on top of first. Brush with melted butter. Repeat with two more sheets. Spoon 1 1/2 cups spinach mixture along horizontal edge of phyllo, leaving 1-inch border. Roll up tightly; brush with melted butter. Place strudel seam-side down on parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 2 more strudels. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before slicing each strudel into 12 bites.