- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 New York steaks
- 2 tablespoons crushed mixed peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 30 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 3 to 4 thyme sprigs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup beef stock
In small bowl, mix peppercorns with 2 teaspoons sea salt. Brush steaks with olive oil, and coat evenly with peppercorn mixture. Set aside.
In heavy skillet over medium-high heat, place butter and half the olive oil, add shallots and stir for 1 minute, until softened. Add mushrooms and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until soft. Reduce heat to low, stir in thyme and flour, and cook for a further minute. Add wine, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, Dijon mustard, and stock. Stir for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly thickened. Keep warm.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Grill steaks 4-6 minutes each side for medium rare; let rest for 20 minutes. Reheat mushroom sauce and pour over steak. Serve immediately.