- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 package (1 pound) penne
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Spanish chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup good quality chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 piece (3 ounces) Parmesan cheese, shaved
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta stirring occasionally, until tender but still rm to bite. Drain and return to pot.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook until slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add onion, garlic and tomatoes and cook 3 minutes.
Stir in chicken stock and cook 3 minutes. Add drained pasta and cook another 4 minutes or until pasta absorbs sauce. Mix in butter and basil; toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve immediately.
There are two types of chorizo sausage. Spanish chorizo is smoked and dry-cured and can be sliced and added directly to a dish without pre-cooking. Mexican chorizo, made of fresh pork, is sold in links and must be cooked before adding to a dish. To cook, remove casing and crumble into skillet to brown.