- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more for spreading
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Coarse salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 8 slices firm white bread
- 8 ounces honey ham, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces Gruyère or Swiss cheese, sliced plus 1/2 cup, shredded
Melt butter in a small saucepan on medium-low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring for 3 minutes. Add milk and cook, whisking constantly until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and add Gruyère, salt and pepper; set aside to cool.
To assemble sandwich, layer 4 bread slices with ham and Gruyère. Top with remaining 4 bread slices. Spread sandwiches with butter. Brown in a non-stick skillet over medium heat, 2 minutes per side. Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet; spoon cheese sauce on each sandwich; sprinkle with remaining cheese and broil 2 minutes, or until golden.