- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast or cross-rib steak, trimmed, cubed
- 1 1/2-inch cubes 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch fresh baby carrots, peeled
- 1/2 pound baby potatoes, washed and halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 300°F.
Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Roll beef cubes in flour mixture and shake off excess. In a large ovenproof Dutch oven, heat half the oil over high heat; sear beef in batches, until all cubes are completely browned, adding more oil if needed. Transfer beef to a large plate.
Reduce heat to medium low. Add onion, garlic, and thyme; fry gently for 4 minutes, or until softened. Add wine, tomato paste, and bay leaf; scrape up brown bits on bottom of Dutch oven. Return beef and any accumulated juices to Dutch oven; add stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to preheated oven. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven; add carrots and potatoes. Return to oven and simmer until vegetables are tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Discard bay leaf and stir in parsley. Adjust seasonings.