- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Makes 24.Servings
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup darkbrown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in teaspoon water
- 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa. In bowl of electric mixer, mix butter, brown sugar and fresh ginger until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add molasses and mix well. Add half flour mixture into butter mixture. Add baking soda mixture, then remaining flour mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate. Remove dough from bowl; cover with plastic and chill 30 minutes.
On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 2-inch balls and roll in sugar. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes.