- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 14–16-ounce bone-in halibut steaks (1"–1 1/4" thick)
- Kosher salt & coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 3 tablespoons drained capers
Season halibut with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat until beginning to smoke. Cook halibut until golden brown, 6–8 minutes. Turn and cook until other side of fish is golden brown, about 4 minutes longer.
Add butter, thyme sprigs, and garlic to pan and cook, tilting pan and spooning butter over fish, until halibut is opaque throughout and butter is brown, about 2 minutes. Add capers; toss in butter to warm through.
Divide halibut among plates and spoon butter sauce over.