- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups good quality chicken stock
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canned jalapeno chilies, minced
- 2 cups shredded Oka cheese, rind removed
- 1 cup milk
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cooked bacon, crumbled, for garnish
Steam broccoli until just tender, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Rinse and chop finely; set aside.
In large heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add our and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes. Whisk in stock; add potatoes, cook for 15 minutes or until thickened. Add cooked broccoli, cider vinegar, chilies, cheese and milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts, about 5 minutes. Do not boil. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with bacon.