- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 pounds ground bison
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (19-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (16-ounce) can Irish stout
- 2 cups beef stock
Toast spices in a dry pan over high heat until fragrant.
In large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons oil, brown ground bison, breaking up with a spoon. Remove from pan and set aside. In same pan, add 1 tablespoon oil and cook onion and jalapeño until softened. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Add toasted spices and stir well to combine. Add tomato paste and cook for a few more minutes. Add diced tomatoes and scrape the bottom of the pot well to deglaze the pan. Add the canned beans, stout, stock and browned bison. Bring to simmer, turn heat to low, and cook for 2 hours.
Can be preserved by freezing for up to three months.
For a milder version, remove seeds from the jalapeño before mincing.
Ground bison can be replaced with your favourite ground meat, we recommend ground turkey or chicken as another lean option.