My friends are still always surprised when I tell them how incredibly simple a delicious tomato sauce is to cook from scratch. Here it is. Start with the very best ingredients.
- Good quality canned tomatoes (nothing added)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt
- Fresh basil
- A chunk of Parmesan cheese
That's it. Let's begin!
- Cook Time
- 2 28-ounce cans whole San Marzano tomatoes
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, whole
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 pound good quality fettuccine
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add tomatoes and garlic and cook about 10 minutes. Using a potato masher, mash the tomatoes and garlic in skillet, add salt and basil leaves and cook 10 more minutes reducing as much as possible.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling well salted water, cook fettuccine until tender but firm, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and add to tomato sauce, toss until well coated, turn up the heat to reduce for a few minutes. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil leaves.